Trinket Box

Tuesday 24 April 2012

DIY Ombré tee

I'm probably a bit behind on the whole ombré 'trend' but hey, I thought I would show you my DIY ombré tee. This was very cheap, quick and easy to make.

Untitled

All you need is...
A white t-shirt. I got mine from h&m.
Fabric hand dye. I used Dylon China Blue.
Salt
A small jug
A bucket
Warm water

1. Dissolve about a third of the packet of dye in about 300ml of warm water in your jug.

2. Fill your bucket with warm water. I put about 4 litres in mine. Stir in 2 tablespoons of salt and add the dye. Stir well.

3. Soak your t-shirt with warm water and ring it out. Submerge your t-shirt into the dye, up to as high as you desire the colour to go. Lift your t-shirt out almost immedietly. This has created the lightest colour of the gradient.

4. For your middle medium shade, dip the shirt back into the dye - this time leaving it a little longer. I left mine around 20-30 seconds. Make sure you swirl the shirt around a bit, so you end up with a smooth gradient. Lift the t-shirt out when you're happy with the colour.

5. For the final part of the gradient, add some more dye to the water. A couple more tablespoons should do it. Dip the bottom part of your t-shirt in, swirl it around for a minute or so - again, take the t-shirt out when you're happy with the colour.

6. Leave the t-shirt over night to let the colour set in. I put it over a bin liner on a clothes horse. When dry, wash well with warm water and laundry liquid.

And there you have it. So easy, and much cheaper than the ones you can buy on the highstreet! Under a tenner - can't go wrong! I really want to make one in mint green. Must find some mint green dye...


12 comments:

  1. I AM DEFINTELY DOING THIS! I did not realise it would be so simple. It looks wonderful. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is brilliant! I've been finding my dip dye shorts recently have come out more two tone with a sharp line through the middle. will be trying this technique next time :) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really want to try this, this is awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fab! I had fallen in love with a Zara shirt which has sold out - who needs Zara!! hee hee x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Want to try this, this is really pretty xx

    http://nicolesmaquillage.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a lovely colour, although Mint Green will look even better :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a fab idea! will be trying this out.

    LH
    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this! I might have to give it a go! :D xoxo


    CAT xoxo
    www.somethingsaidon.blogspot.co.uk

    p.s. Check out my iPhone case giveaway!?
    http://somethingsaidon.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/giveaway-iconemesis-iphone-case.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. this looks amazing! i would love to make something like this. xx
    Ella @ Belle Vintage

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks so professional! Can't believe how easy it is and how expensive it is to buy t-shirts like this on the high street. After my exams I'm having a week of experimenting with hair dye, nail art, fake tanning and now definatley tye-dying! Great tutorial, now following ~ox

    ReplyDelete
  11. This really does look amazing! Great idea x

    ReplyDelete
  12. so helpful, thank you!
    def following now :-)

    <3

    www.girlygirlvsworld.com

    ReplyDelete